James Boyle aka Breakage is one of the most respected DJs and producers in the game. Having been releasing music for almost 15 years now, he's a master when it comes to production; crafting weighty yet refined music that crosses the realms of techno...
What's the most hedonistic party you've ever been to?
Ummm no idea… None????
What's the most phenomenal clubbing venue in the world and why?
I'd say it has to be Fabric, always a great night and a the system, tech/monitoring/sound engineers etc are always spot on.
If you could go back to back with any DJ, at any venue, who would it be and why?
Dismantle, although I've done it numerous times, I think we have a really nice vibe between us and it's always fun!
History is made at night... what was the best night of your life?
Slammin Vinyl at Bagleys some time in 1996, was the first time I ever went to a rave. Lost all my money, fell asleep at the bus stop waiting for my dad to pick me up and saw Nicky Blackmarket use an umbrella to protect his dub plates from all the sweat!
What's the most debauched thing you've ever seen on the dance floor?
I've seen a girl get ummm fondled downstairs! At certain points I thought they were going to just go for it…. It was like an accident that you don't want to see, but you can't look away.
What would your dream rider consist of?
A pre paid respected tattoo artist (valid for up to 2 hours work), a small in venue safe haven for my cat, a fresh black tshirt, a pocket watch, a monocle, a cigarette holder and a bouncy castle backstage.
What does your actual rider consist of?
This is my rider, although i'm going to change it soonish...
1. Two (2) 1 litre bottles of mineral water.
2. Hot meal for one (1) persons (no McDonalds/Pork/Dairy or food marinated in lemon) at no cost to the Artist.
3. Please also provide two large towels.
4. Bottle of grey goose or bullet bourbon, cranberry juice, red bull, coke, water, ice.
5. 20 Benson & Hedges silver (or Marlborough gold).
6. a pack of Haribo.
7. a giraffe (toy, inflatable, stuffed, taxidermy or ceramic is acceptable if a real giraffe is not available)
8. a framed picture of Alex DeLarge.
9. a bottle of fresh tears from a sacrificed virgin from a pagan ritual.
10. Something old.
11. Something new.
12. Something borrowed.
13. Something blue with a sporty white line on it.
14. 2 kinder surprise eggs.
15. A flux capacitor.
16. A small gift shop item from the city/town/village gift shop.
17. Something led zeppelin or Aleister Crowley related.
18. Venue Internet password.
19. Directions to a 24 hour McDonalds.
20. A movie quality Storm Trooper helmet.
21. A movie quality Boba Fett helmet.
22. A movie quality bootleg copy of a movie that's still at the movies.
23. An air guitar.
24. Someone to caress his fragile over inflated ego and tell me (and others) how great I am every 4.3 minutes before I go on and after I come off.
25. At least 8 x more of above after he's finished.
26. A Savoy Guild Tailor.
27. A Cockney Shoe Shiner.
Do you think music subcultures are losing their definition?
I have no idea to be honest, so thats probably a yes!
What producer are you predicting big things from this year?
There's so many it's hard to pick! Mella Dee springs to mind, but maybe i'm being biased.
Where do you go when the record ends and the lights come on?
What track would you end the night on when everyone's still awake and its time to go to sleep?
Probably something really dark & depressing to be a bastard. Maybe some Bohren & Der Club Of Gore.
What's your party trick?
Being an idiot.
Finish the sentence, the music sounds better with...