10 things you need to know about aya jones
She first set foot on the catwalk as a Prada exclusive and now she’s the face of their latest campaign. Meet Parisian belle, Aya Jones.
fendi fall/winter 15
If cherubs were descended from the Ivory Coast, grew up in Paris and had legs that went on for miles, they'd look something like Aya Jones, all pillowy lips and heart-shaped face. This 20-year-old beauty was spotted on the Rue du Rivoli in the City of Love before being signed to The Lions in New York and going on to walk her first ever show as a Prada exclusive for spring/summer 15. In the seven months since, she's been on a whirlwind tour walking for everyone from Marc Jacobs to Moschino, and has just appeared in Prada's Pre-Fall 15 campaign, lensed by Steven Meisel and also starring Natalie Westling and Julia Nobis.
1. Her tip top shows to walk in last season were...
"Prada and Miu Miu. Dior too. I loved my hairstyles, the clothes and the make-up; it was amazing."
2. Her model role model is...
"Naomi Campbell because of her charity work and the shows that she has organized to support it."
3. If she could use her new-found fame to change the world…
"I would promote more ethnic diversity in the world and encourage a healthy body image for models."
4. She stands up against forced labor…
"Particularly of children. It's an awful thing. Everyone should have the right to freedom and education. Perhaps it touches me more because I am of African descent, and some of my ancestors did not enjoy this freedom."
5. The most rebellious thing she's ever done is…
"Cutting school and spending the day with friends instead."
5. In a blockbuster of her life, this is who she'd choose to play herself, and her lover:
"Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt."
7. The red-haired Vogue icon, Grace Coddington gave Aya her best piece of advice...
"To stay observant of everything that's happening around me in the world."
8. She believes beauty starts on the inside...
"By having purity and simplicity from the inside you will have everything to look beautiful from the outside."
9. In the heat of summer sunshine…
"My parents will be visiting me in NY in August, and I'm going to Malaysia with my boyfriend."
10. If she wasn't a model, she'd be doing something totally different:
"I might be a nurse."
Text Felicity Kinsella