lil xan was not the first person to be hospitalized by flamin' hot cheetos

The rapper was the latest in a long line of souls driven to the ER by their love of the crispy red snacks.

by Hannah Keyser
26 September 2018, 3:08pm

Photos: Getty Images // 

This article originally appeared on MUNCHIES

The year was 2012, the rapper now known as Lil Xan was a 16-year-old named Diego Leanos, and kids kept ending up in the ER because Flamin' Hot Cheetos were giving them blood-red poo. The red food dye isn't actually dangerous—and also isn't unique to the spicy sticks of unpronounceable ingredients—but the snack proved so addictive that unsuspecting teens were accidentally ingesting massive amounts of colourful flavour dust, resulting in alarming stool and expensive ambulance rides.

Unfortunately, the reaction to that round of Flamin' Hot Cheetos fear-mongering seemed to be a nationwide belief that any troubling side effects should be ignored in favour of eating more Flamin' Hot Cheetos. By the following year, doctors were citing the snacks—when consumed in unrelenting abundance—as a source of significant stomach inflammation, and earlier this year, a woman blamed her daughter's emergency gallbladder surgery on her relentless Flamin' Hot Cheetos habit.

Well, apparently Lil Xan eats an awful lot of Flamin' Hot Cheetos, too. After the rapper posted an Instagram story from the back of an ambulance earlier this week, he explained in a subsequent video post that he had gone to the hospital for a Hot Cheetos injury.

Read the full story on MUNCHIES

junk food
Flamin' Hot Cheetos
Lil Xan