yeezy taught me! 10 things we learnt from Kanye today
We found out the album’s almost done, he takes multiple showers after break-ups and there’s a video game coming our way!
This morning, Kanye West dropped into New York's Power 105.1 FM for an hour-long interview - and this afternoon, the rapper has been pretty chatty on Twitter. Here are 10 things we've learned about Yeezy today.
1. His new album is "80 per cent done" and won't be as abrasive as 2013's Yeezus. "My last album was a protest to music, I was like 'I'm gonna take my ball and go home'..." West explained. "This album is embracing the music, joy, being of service to the people. I just hope people like it and enjoy it."
2. West is planning to follow Beyoncé's lead and drop it as a surprise because, these days, "release dates are played out".
3. West's new single, Wolves, featuring Vic Mensa and Sia, "came from a conversation me and Drake had where we were supposed to do an album together".
4. West reckons his joint album with Drake "might" still happen, but admits Drizzy is "probably gonna be mad" that he mentioned it during today's interview.
5. West is also working on a video game inspired by his recent single Only One, which is a tribute to daughter North sung from the perspective of his late mother, Donda West.
6. West actually thinks Beck's album is "kind of good" but says it should have won the Grammy for Best Rock Album instead of the all-encompassing Album of the Year prize.
7. He has Beck's phone number.
8. West and Taylor Swift are now on such friendly terms that they actually met for dinner recently - that's when West heard Beck's album.
9. West isn't quite so pally with ex-girlfriend Amber Rose, who recently had a Twitter spat with his sister-in-law Khloe Kardashian. "If Kim had, like, dated me when I first wanted to be with her, there wouldn't be an Amber Rose," West said during the interview, before adding: "I had to take 30 showers before I got with Kim."
10. He also has some firm words for Fern Mallis, the legendary creator of New York Fashion Week, who said earlier this week that she is "kind of over" Kanye West and doesn't like his music or attitude. "To Fern Mallis: I just want you to understand that attempting to do clothing has been very difficult," West wrote on Twitter this afternoon. "Fame is often looked down upon in the design world, so it's actually been something I had to overcome."
Text Nick Levine